What Is Kybella?
- First and only FDA approved nonsurgical treatment that contours and improves the appearance of fat under the chin (double chin).
- 15-20 minute minimally invasive (nonsurgical) procedure in the office.
- Requires customization to help achieve your treatment goals.
- Destroys fat cells when injected into the fat beneath your chin.
- Once the aesthetic goal is achieved, re-treatment is not expected.
Common side Effects with Kybella
- Hardness in the treatment area.
How does Kybella work?
- Active ingredient in KYBELLA is deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat.
- When injected into the fat beneath your chin, it causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat.
How is Kybella administered?
- Typically 15-20 minute procedure in the office. The appointment slot could be longer for possible numbing procedures.
- First agrid is made with boundaries drawn to avoid damage to vital structures.
- Second dose planning is made with respect to the size/amount of fullness which needs to be addressed.
- Typically 14-50 shots given with a needle which is the same as a very small Botox needle.
- The dosing and number of shots is customized for each patient.
Are Kybella injections painful?
- Most patients report a 4/10 pain scale experience with the first few minutes after injection of Kybella. Then the pain level subsides rapidly.
- Methods such as ice, pain reliever pills, numbing cream, numbing shots, ring blocks, tumescent lidocaine injections are possible methods to help keep the pain under control.
- It seems with subsequent sessions the pain level seems to decrease.
How many treatments are needed for Kybella?
- Many patients treated with KYBELLA experience visible contouring of their chin profile in 2-4 treatments. Some require 6 treatments.
- Once your chin profile has improved, you may not need to be treated with KYBELLA again.
How far apart should each session be for Kybella?
- 4-8 weeks
Is there skin tightening with Kybella?
- There is some skin tightening with KYBELLA which is associated with the inflammatory process after the procedure.
What’s the Kybella downtime?
- For most patients, downtime was minimal and occurred most commonly after the first treatment session, usually 1-7 days.
- Patients can wear a compressive neck band as much as they can for 1 week after the procedure.
- The bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area might get in the way of some social plans and work commitments in the following week – especially the first two days after the procedure.
- Downtime seems to decrease with the following treatments
Precautions regarding Kybella
- The most common side effects of KYBELLA include swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area.
- KYBELLA can cause serious side effects, including trouble swallowing and nerve injury in the jaw that can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness.